Thursday, April 18, 2013

Gratitude above all else

"...near the place they had eaten the bread when The Lord gave thanks..." found in John 6:22-29

"When The Lord gave thanks." Giving thanks ushers in life. Christ gave thanks first before the feeding of the 5000, he gave thanks before giving the disciples His body and blood at the last supper.
Thanks must come first if we are to receive the graces and life of Christ.

I recall a time in my life when I had been in constant misery. I was like a broken record, the same sadness daily. Then I read something, and it occurred to me that I had not been thanking God for anything, just complaining and begging. So I forced myself to my knees and started to thank him for the littlest pitiful things just because I couldn't think of anything. Soon, I was thanking him for my life with its difficulties. I began to change from deep inside...life began again.

One miraculous thanks we should give is that we are invited and able to receive the very bread of life in the Holy Eucharist. To have a body and soul that can receive eternity in the form of the Son of God is amazing! So next time Life itself is presented to you to receive Him...thank Him for the ability to receive and (in the thoughts of St. John of the Cross,) 'to receive Him with all your being!'

"When I started counting my blessings,
My whole life turned around."
Willie Nelson 

No comments: