Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Outstretched arm

"For remember that you too were once slaves in Egypt, and The Lord, your God, brought you from there with his strong hand and outstretched arm. That is why The Lord, your God, has commanded you to oberve the sabbath day."
Deuteronomy 5:15

In the days before we had to wear sat belts, I remember whenever my mom would have to come to a quick stop, her right arm would fly across the passenger side and stop whomever is in the seat. Being a little kid, it sometimes hurt. She was and is a very good driver, but this is one safety action she would do. It was a reflex of some sort. It is funny looking back on it. But she was doing what she could in order to protect us from harm.

 I thought of these times when someone reaches their arm out while reading the above Old Testament reading.  17 times in Scripture the phrase "outstreached arm" is used, all in the Old Testament. And once in the New Teatament it says "uplifted arm" found in Acts 13: 17-18.  It is not a coinsidence that the Holy Spirit expresses these words in Scripture. I am not qualified to get into an expert explanation on these words, but I will say this:

The Old Testament once again was foreshadowing th great and biggest event in the saving of souls from evil. First God outstretched His arm to save His people from the slavery of Egypt, next Christ Himslef followed and outstretched His arms to hold back evil in orde to save souls from the slavery of sin. And in both of these cases, along with the times of my mom's arm stretching out, the one needing saving is unaware of the danger they are in. But seeing what we need saving from they "outstretch their arms" in hopes to save us.

So many times I try to help my kids from falling, and so many times I have been the ungrateful child not appreciating or being aware of what my parents have done for me. Let us all not forget the work of these loved ones, but most of all let us not forget what God has done for us. We are blessed as Catholics to have this eternal sacrifice offered for us to partake in at every Mass. For His outstretched arm was not for one time, but for eternity, until He comes again. Allow Our Lord to save you by laying your worries and concerns on His altar. His arms are ready and have actually already saved you...you just need to allow Him.

"Bless The Lord, my soul; do not forget all the gifts of God,
Who pardons all your sins, heals all your ills
Delivers your life from the pit,
Surrounds you with love and compassion..."
Psalm 103: 2-4


2 comments:

CatholicMom said...

Excellent Post! One of those 17 times probably includes this phrase: "I am the Lord, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians...and I will redeem you with a stretched out arm, and with great judgements" (Exodus 6:6)This just made an impression on me during my bible study.. especially in light of the battle with Amelek later in Exodus 17 - where the Israelites began to win the battle when Moses "literally" stretched out his arms, but lost ground when he let down his hands. That is when I thought of Jesus with his outstretched arms on the cross... (or rather, probably somebody in the class made the connection, I can't remember, but it was an important connection when I realized this was foreshadowing the act of Christ on the cross.) And... my dad used to do the outstretched arm thing to us also.. :-) Back then, we sat in the front seats, didn't use our seatbelts and used to climb all over the car. Don't you miss the good old days?

Susan said...

Thank you. But yes I recall th same image of Moses and his outstretched arms during battle. And we are in a battle, but a battle already won by Christ. That is why it is so important for us, especially moms, to join our sufferings and prayers to him and Mary, who stands by always supporting us with love and prayers and guidance. We have the greatest gift in the Church and the Sacaments she protects! That is why I do not want the past back, for it is right now that I can meet Christ. And right now that you can too.
God bless your day!