Sunday, January 13, 2013

Why is it so complex to be simple?

Tomorrow begins Ordinary Time in the Church. It's a time for growing, a time for living the ordinary in an extraordinary way. (I forget who said that?) 

Without a doubt, it is in the little way of life where we meet God and live new lives in Him, but it means we must simplify. This is the great mystery...the mystery of simplicity. I offer that this is the struggle of us all, to eliminate complexity in and around us. But when we are striving after simplicity, we find God and therefore ourselves as He made us to be. In my life when things get complicated the best thing for me to do is draw all my attention to the fact that God is with me. Focusing on Him brings proper perspective in the midst of chaos...and the chaos ceases to be, even if events around me have not changed. 

So in this ordinary time, seek to find God through an adventure of simplicity. And I leave with this quote or prayer from St. Therese:

"Jesus, help me to simplify my life by learning what you want me to be- 
and becoming that person."

1 comment:

ClassicBecky said...

You've posted a nice reminder for everyone to de-clutter the mind and leave some space for God. I like St. Therese's prayer, and will put it to use in my own life.