Wednesday, November 28, 2012

It's All in the Hands of the Priest

Every day He humbles Himself just as He did when from His heavenly throne into the Virgin's womb; every day He comes to us and lets us see Him in lowliness, when He descends from the bosom of the Father into the hands of the priest at the altar.   

 – St. Francis of Assisi

We all want to belong to someone, huh? St. Francis of Assist gave up his whole life to serve God and His poor. He along with many saints lived lives reflective of the Gospels. We are called to do this too. To be radical followers of Christ. What does that mean? It means to entirely belong to Him.

How? It is God's work. But using our free will we try to cooperate with His work and change our lives to reflect Christ's life. We need to get to know Him through learning and prayer and participation in the Sacraments. But one specific decision we can make is following His example by uniting ourselves with Him at every Mass. This is what I suggest:

Look at the above quote. "Every day (Jesus) humbles Himself...from the bosom of the Father into the hands of the priest at the altar." We need to do this too. What do you mean? I mean this. When the offertory comes at Mass, humbly make a movement of heart and will and ask your Guardian Angel to place you in the hands of the priest at the altar. Visualize yourself being offered as a thanksgiving sacrifice to God, body, blood, soul; to be transformed "through, with and in" Christ for the salvation of your soul, for the whole Church, and for many souls. This is what if means to be One Body...to be united to His, and the Mass is the connection, the Gate, to be His. All other devotions and prayers should point us here and stem form here. Our one purpose is to be transformed so we may be One Body in Christ and be a servant of the Servant.

This is why St. Paul could say, "It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me." He gave himself entirely up to God's Will. "My daily food is doing the will of God." (I forget who said that.) I guarantee with my whole life that there is no greater joy then to be in Christ. No better friend, no better time spent, no greater joy. All worries pass and confidence that He is real as the breath I take. Today, I live so I can tell you that. Let the hands of the priest lift you higher! Let him give you to God with His only Begotten Son.

"My God, I believe, I adore, I hope and I love you.
I beg pardon for those who do not believe, do not adore, do not hope and 
do not love you." - Angel's Prayer from Fatima


God bless you!


No comments: